7.07.2009

Taco Seasoning




Have you ever noticed how many unnecessary added ingredients there are in packaged mixes like taco seasoning? Around here we try to avoid lots of extra sugar in unnecessary places, and save it for the good stuff like cookies and ice cream. We also try to consume as little msg as possible because it is a major migraine trigger for me. As a result of this, we make a lot of our seasonings ourselves which is also a big help on the budget. Here is our recipe for taco seasoning:

  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried onion
  • 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper***
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then pour into a container for storage. I just sprinkle until it looks right, but probably about 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat, plus a little water for simmering.

**I bought a set of stainless steel spice jars at Wal-mart that I store mine in, but a Ziploc bag or a small food storage container would work just fine as well. I just sprinkle until it looks right, but probably about 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat, plus a little water. This will make enough for at least three to four meals.

***This is a pretty mild taco seasoning. I like mine a little spicier, but my kids don't, so I make it mild. You could up the red pepper to 1/4 tsp if you want more heat.

No comments: