8.26.2009

Meatball Soup

This is totally not my recipe, but one I want to be able to access wherever I am, so onto the internet it goes. While it may look like a bunch of ingredients it really isn't. I was surprised at how quick it was to prepare, and while one part is cooking you are working on the other. It is also a great way to sneak in some veggies. Oh, and did I mention that we love soup around here?

Broth:
  • 5 cans chicken broth (watch for msg if you are into that!)
  • 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 carrots shredded
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 c spinach, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c orzo pasta
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Heat oil in large pot. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Add broth, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Heat to boiling. Add meatballs.

Meatballs:
  • 1/2 lb. ground turkey
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c. bread crumbs (I used seasoned)
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 c. grated onion
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients. Form into tiny meatballs and drop into broth to cook. When cooked, add carrots, spinach, and pasta. Cover and simmer 10-20 minutes.

**I had enough leftovers from the 1 lb of turkey I bought, so I made a mixture of extra meatball ingredients that I'm going to put in the freezer so that all I have to do is unthaw the next time I'm ready to make this as the rest of the ingredients are things I would have on hand anyway. A quick weeknight meal!**

No comments: